Action for Children believes that volunteers play a vital role in helping to improve the lives of the children, young people and families that we work with. We value their passion, energy, ideas, and dedication. We are committed to supporting and managing them appropriately so that they have a meaningful and worthwhile experience with us. We recognise that volunteers do not replace staff but enhance their work and strive to involve a diverse group of volunteers who reflect the communities we work, we currently have vacancies:
We're looking for volunteers who can talk to parents and carers, highlighting the benefits of childcare, family activities and services, and parental involvement through a variety of methods. Our Parent Champions will be using networks in and around children's centres and other community places local to their own areas. They will offer information, support and guidance to families in order to help them access childcare, early year's education and family services. They will record all contacts with families and follow this up where appropriate. They will act in accordance with Action for Children policies and procedures.
This is a flexible role, which requires around 5 hours a week, and would suit someone who could fit this around their existing arrangements.
Activities will include:
• communicating with parents and family members using a variety of methods
• making suggestions to parents on the different childcare, family activities and services they could use
• referring parents to Family Information Service (FIS) to provide expert advice on finding and paying for childcare
• referring parents to children's centres and other local organisations to access local activities and services
• using good local knowledge of their community, and links with local families
• recording accurate information manually
• meeting with the Project Manager for ongoing supervision and support
• sharing good practice across the project with other Parent Champions
• attending training and personal development activities in accordance with the role
We need volunteers who:
• feel confident approaching and speaking with others
• understand the difficulties parents face in using or accessing childcare or other family activities and the reasons for this
• feel they have good knowledge of their community and links with local families
• have had positive experiences of using formal childcare, early years education or family activities and services themselves
Training and Support
As an Action for Children volunteer you will receive a full induction into the work of Action for Children and our values. We will process your DBS check and take up references in advance of the volunteering role starting, and will reimburse reasonable expenses/mileage (supported by receipts) as quickly as possible.
For further information or to apply for this role, please contact:
Westham Children's Centre
Tel: 01305 782549
Or apply online at www.actionforchildren.org.uk. Select "Get Involved", click on the volunteer links until you reach the page where you can select your preferred volunteering location.